The Works of Mr. William Shakespear- Early Edition- Rare
Printing Location: London Date: 1748
Size and Page Count: 3.25" X 5" Tall, approx. 2300 pages in all 9 volumes
Condition: -Good to Very Good-, Three Quarter leather bound with brown cloth. private collection stamp from 'Emily Balch Sherman' on back of front board, hinges show past repair, some leather chipped away on spine cover, binding tight, boards and spine cover with scratches and wear, light foxing, beautiful gilted golden text on spine, volume VI has first few pages with tear on bottom edges, volume VII has light stain on lower section of about half of pages. Complete.
----An excellent opportunity for the collector, researcher or historian---- Founding Father and President John Adams had this 9 Volume 1748 London publication in his library.
Preface by Alexander Pope. Life History of Shakespeare by Nicholas Rowe: an English dramatist, poet, and writer.
- VOLUME 1: 252 pages. Contains: Preface; Preface by Alexander Pope; Some Account of the Life of Mr. William Shakespear by Nicholas Rowe; coat of Arms Tribute; Tribute Poem by Ben Johnson; The Tempest; A Mid-Summer Nights Dream, Two Gentlemen of Verona; Merry Wives Of Windsor.
- VOLUME 2: 347 pages. Contains: Measure for Measure, Comedy Of Errors; Much Ado About Nothing; Merchant Of Venice; Love’s Labours Lost.
- VOLUME 3: 295 pages. Contains: As You Like It; Taming Of the Shrew; All’s Well That Ends Well; Twelfth Night.
- VOLUME 4: 328 pages. Contains: Winter’s Tale; King Lear; King John; King Richard II.
- VOLUME 5: 336 pages. Contains: King Henry IV Part I; King Henry IV Part II; King Henry V; King Henry VI Part I.
- VOLUME 6: 360 pages. Contains: King Henry VI Part II; King Henry VI Part III; King Richard III; King Henry VIII.
- VOLUME 7: 339 pages. Contains: Timon Of Athens; Coriolanus; Julius Caesar; Antony and Cleopatra.
- VOLUME 8: 332 pages. Contains: Titus Andronicus; Macbeth; Troilus and Cressida; Cymbeline.
- VOLUME 9: 280 pages. Contains: Romeo and Juliet; Hamlet; Othello + Glossary.