Original Edition -RARE!- 1792 -Thirteenth Edition- Corrected (First Edition was about 1770)
Publisher-Printing Location: Printed for Charles Dilly, etc. London Author: William Guthrie, the Astronomical Part by James Ferguson Date: 1792 Size and Page Count: 5.5" X 8.5" Tall; 910 Pages
Condition:-Fair- Leather Bound that has ancient repairs with leather on hinge and spine, corners heavy wear, a few pages have stain spots & tears on edges, Foxing, heavier on front pages; text block Good, many fold out maps that extend at their fold past the paper text block that have wear and tears from storage.(over 220 years)
Illustrations Information: 15 foldout MAPS and Hundreds of Tables and Charts
-------- An excellent opportunity for the collector, researcher or historian ---------
Articles and Information:
Includes: Title page, advertizement (bibliography of changes to each edition up to this one, mentions the 13 Colonies), Preface(6 pages), Contents, Introduction (pages 1 to 58), Body Part 1 astronomical Geography, Part II Origin of Laws, Government and Commerce Part III Origin and Progress of religion Each Continent divided up into Countries
-Title page- A New Geographical, Historical, and Commercial Grammar and Present State of the Several Kingdoms of the World Containing
- I. The Figures, Motions, and Distances of the planets, according to the Newtonian System and the latest Observations.
- II. A general View of the Earth considered as a Planet ; with several useful Geographical Definitions and Problems.
- III. The grand Divisions of the Globe into Land and Water, Continents and Islands.
- IV. The Situation and Extent of Empires, Kingdoms, States, Provinces, and Colonies.
- V. Their Climates, Air, Soil, vegetable Productions, Metals, Minerals, natural Curiosities, Seas, Rivers, Bays, Capes, Promontories, and Lakes.
- VI. The Birds and Beads peculiar to each Country.
- VII. Observations on the Changes that have been any where observed upon the Face of Nature fince the moll early Periods of Hiftory.
- VIII. The History and Origin of Nations; their Forms of Government, Religion, Laws, Revenues, Taxes, naval and military Strength.
- IX. The Genius, Manners, Customs, and Habits of the People.
- X. Their Language, Learning, Arts, Sciences, Manufactures, and Commerce.
- XI. The chief Cities, Structures, Ruins, and artificial Curiosities.
- XII. The Longitude, Latitude, Bearings, and Distances of principal Places from London.
TO WHICH ARE ADDED,
- I. A Geographical Index, with the Names and Places alphabetically arranged.
- II. A Table of the Coins of all Nations, and their Value in English Money.
- III. A Chronological Table of remarkable Events from the Creation to the prefent Time.
Maps not in this book: World Sphere, Europe, West Indies, South America, North AmericaÂ
- Denmark, Sweden and Norway 61 (40% missing)
- Russia in Europe 116 (a piece missing)
- Scotland 148
- England and Wales 198
- Ireland 417
- France 445
- Germany & Netherlands 490
- Poland, Lithuania and Prussia 537
- Switzerland 557
- Spain and Portugal 564
- Italy 597
- Turkey in Durope and Hungary 626
- Asia 635
- East Indies (India etc half missing) 678
- Africa (torn but complete) 726